Setting up a garden to work well for your household is a great thing to do. We are over four years into doing up our home and we are still working on the garden! Ben has been busy building a workshop and storage shed to the bottom of the garden and so we now finally know what is at the bottom of the garden. That’s one part done! We have a roofed veranda that he built last year, but still we need to put decking underneath, change some very old and outdated patio slabs and then think about borders and the rest of the garden. Taking on a large garden is very costly and challenging! Although the garden looks very different to the previous owners, I don’t feel we have got anywhere closer to creating a beautiful landscaped garden for ourselves.
Today I have some landscaping contractors here with some tips on how to plan to landscape your garden professionally. Enjoy.
Step 1. Establishment of material requirements and budget estimate
After deciding on the style and building elements (barbecue, playground, vegetable garden), you have to determine how much the garden arrangement and the necessary materials cost. The budget is influenced by the size of the land, the building materials, the decorative elements, and the chosen plants. Establish a list of everything you need so you have a more accurate idea of the cost of the arrangement. Also, if you decide to use the help of a company that offers landscaping in Reno Nevada, you need to tell them the budget they need to fit before starting the garden design project
Step 2. Ground preparation for green areas
The preparation works consist of:
- soil fertilization for peat planting;
- leveling the soil to avoid water accumulation in some regions of the garden;
- weed removal and soil herbicide.
Step 3. Installing a drainage system
This prevents water build-ups that can cause the lawn to dry or the appearance of pits in the garden. The drainage system consists of a set of pipes buried in the ground, which take over the excess water and evacuate it to the drainage basin. The tap water can then be used for the irrigation system.
Step 4. Mounting the irrigation system
This is made up of a programmer, rain sensor, electrodes, pipes, hydrophores, pop-up sprinklers and is useful for watering the lawn. The irrigation system can be programmed at the selected hours, and the rain sensor will stop the irrigation system when it’s raining, precisely to avoid unnecessary water use.
Step 5. Mounting or planting the lawn
You can opt for mounting lawn or planting lawns:
- planting the garden – you can do the sowing using a particular sawn machine, or you can choose for manual planting by mixing the seeds with sand. For 100 square meters, you need 3-5 kilograms of seeds. Incorporate the seeds in the soil using a rake and cover them with a layer of soil 1-2 centimeters thick. Seeding the lawn should be done on a windy day when the land is warm, not before or after a rainy day. After planting the lawn seeds, wet with abundant water without a powerful jet because it can move the seeds.
- Mounting roller lawns – They are mounted quickly and easily. After you have prepared the soil and poured a layer of sand, you can start to roll the rolls one by one. It is a convenient option, the grass is already evenly raised on the whole lawn and does not require much care during the first weeks.
Step 6. Establish the access ways
These must serve the traffic needs and, at the same time, be in harmony with the design of the garden. Depending on the style you choose, you can choose wooden paths or tiles or just gravel.
Step 7. Planting flowers and trees
Dig a few pits according to the number of flowers or trees selected and add a little fertile soil to the hole to help them get caught more easily. Water with abundant water in the first few weeks to facilitate the rooting process. A simpler option is choosing pot plants, which you just have to place in different places in the garden. Keep in mind that the most suitable planting times are spring and autumn. Click this for tips on growing flowering trees.
Step 8. Mounting ancillary materials
Depending on the style chosen for your garden, you can choose to install different garden decorations or furniture pieces. For a relaxation area pick a rocking chair or a bench, and if you want to organise outdoor parties, you can build a barbecue. Add a table and a few chairs, a children’s playground, a fountain or pond and do not forget to take into account lighting systems. For storage of tools and tools required for later maintenance of the garden, you can even arrange a storage space.