Image Source: Unsplash
The roof is the most important component of any structure and you should fully examine all options before selecting a roofing material. Aside from the aesthetics, there are other factors to bear in mind. With longevity being a priority, here are the main aspects you should consider when choosing a roofing material for your home.
- Maintenance – While it might sound awesome to have a thatched roof, you must consider maintenance. In fact, every roofing material is subject to wear and tear, but some require a lot more care and cost than others. If you really want a maintenance-free roofing solution then metal would be a good choice, and the wide range of colours allows you to add to the visual appeal. Slate is relatively maintenance-free and any section that is damaged can easily be replaced, as can roof shingles.
- Aesthetic appeal – Sourcing a slate roofing specialist in Sydney or in your local area is a wise move if you are looking for a beautiful roof to protect your home. Choosing a professional installer will ensure your home looks amazing. Slate is extremely durable and with a professional installation, there’s very little that can go wrong. Lead flashing makes for the perfect combination with slate, which is something you can discuss with the roofing contractor. While you want a durable roof, you should always consider how it looks, and once the roofer knows this is important then he will be happy to show you all of your options and you can come up with a plan for a roof that is not only practical, but looks great too.
- Cost – Of course, cost is a factor you cannot leave out of the equation, yet it should never be the driving factor. If you accept the lowest quote, you are running the risk of a sub-standard job. While some roofing materials are more expensive than others, you should be looking at a long-term solution and that usually comes with quality materials. As the saying goes – buy cheap, buy twice.
Image Source: Unsplash
- Energy efficiency – If you are an eco-friendly person, and really we all should be, then you will prefer to have a roof that is very energy efficient. Modern roofing insulation can provide more than adequate insulation, which will ensure that your home remains cooler in the summer and also retains heat in the colder months. If you would like some further reading on the different styles of roofing, there is an informative article on the subject that you can refer to.
- The surroundings – It is important to choose a roofing material that is suitable for the immediate environment. If you live in a coastal environment with high winds, you should avoid using traditional shingles which can easily be uprooted in a storm. In such environments, a metal roof might be the best solution. If there are trees overhanging the roof, this should also be considered as some roofing materials are easier to keep clean than others. Hopefully any professionals you call out for a quote will take these factors into consideration, if not then don’t be afraid to ask.
Image Source: Pixabay
Whatever you choose, if you have considered all of the above, your choice of roofing materials should be a wise one. Make sure you invite quotes from a few well-established local roofing companies and don’t be afraid to ask questions, as this is not a decision to be taken lightly. Your new roof should last you for many years, as well as complementing the look of the property, and by choosing an established roofer, you can be sure of a first-class installation.
Read these next: