When it comes to choosing a roof for your home, there are many things to keep in mind. Remember that your roof is going to be one of the most expensive parts of your home, and the first thing people often notice when something goes wrong with it. This makes choosing the right roof an even more crucial decision.
The roof is the most important component of any structure and you should fully examine all options before selecting a roofing material. Aside from the aesthetics, there are other factors to bear in mind.
With longevity being a priority, here are the main aspects you should consider when choosing a roofing material for your home.
- Kind of material – There are so many different kinds of roofing material available in the market today. Among these are metal sheets, shingles, metal tiles, metal girders, metal cladding, and metal posts. Some are manufactured using special coatings and while others are made using organic materials.From these options, the easiest to install are metal claddings, sheets, tiles, and shingles. However, the choice will really depend on the look you’re after, your preferences, and even your budget for this roofing job.
- Maintenance – While it might sound awesome to have a thatched roof, you must consider maintenance. In fact, every roofing material is subject to wear and tear, but some require a lot more care and cost than others.If you really want a maintenance-free roofing solution then metal would be a good choice, and the wide range of colours allows you to add to the visual appeal. Slate is relatively maintenance-free and any section that is damaged can easily be replaced, as can roof shingles.
If you opt for cladding instead, then you’ll need to factor in a cladding cleaning service to the overall cost of your roof. You may not be able to clean your roof yourself, so you need to consider how often you’ll require a cleaning company and at what cost.
- Coating type – Another very important factor to consider when choosing roofing for your house is the type of coating. Select whether you want to have the top layer made from copper foil, clay or sand. The type of coating you choose will depend on your location’s climate conditions.For example, if you live in a place where temperature variations aren’t too great, then you should go for a clay or sand coating. If you live in a place with temperatures that vary widely, you should go for a copper one. However, if you aren’t sure, then it’s best to consult your trusted roofing contractor.
- Aesthetic appeal – Sourcing a slate roofing specialist in Sydney or in your local area is a wise move if you are looking for a beautiful roof to protect your home. Choosing a professional installer will ensure your home looks amazing. Slate is extremely durable and with a professional installation, there’s very little that can go wrong.Lead flashing makes for the perfect combination with slate, which is something you can discuss with the roofing contractor. While you want a durable roof, you should always consider how it looks, and once the roofer knows this is important then he will be happy to show you all of your options and you can come up with a plan for a roof that is not only practical, but looks great too.
- Cost – Of course, cost is a factor you cannot leave out of the equation, yet it should never be the driving factor. If you accept the lowest quote, you are running the risk of a sub-standard job. While some roofing materials are more expensive than others, you should be looking at a long-term solution and that usually comes with quality materials. As the saying goes – buy cheap, buy twice.
The key here is to balance the cost with the promised quality. There are so many different kinds of roofing jobs that’ll surely meet your budget so you don’t have to settle for the cheapest you can find. It would be better if you contact your roofing contractor before finalizing your choice of material.
- Energy efficiency – If you are an eco-friendly person, and really we all should be, then you will prefer to have a roof that is very energy efficient. Modern roofing insulation can provide more than adequate insulation, which will ensure that your home remains cooler in the summer and also retains heat in the colder months.If you would like some further reading on the different styles of roofing, there is an informative article on the subject that you can refer to.
- The surroundings – It is important to choose a roofing material that is suitable for the immediate environment. If you live in a coastal environment with high winds, you should avoid using traditional shingles which can easily be uprooted in a storm. In such environments, a metal roof might be the best solution.If there are trees overhanging the roof, this should also be considered as some roofing materials are easier to keep clean than others. Hopefully any professionals you call out for a quote will take these factors into consideration, if not then don’t be afraid to ask.
Image Source: Pixabay
Whatever you choose, if you have considered all of the above, your choice of roofing materials should be a wise one. Make sure you invite quotes from a few well-established local roofing companies and don’t be afraid to ask questions, as this is not a decision to be taken lightly. Your new roof should last you for many years, as well as complementing the look of the property, and by choosing an established roofer, you can be sure of a first-class installation.
More great blog posts:
Please pin me: