Whether you’re a DIY newbie or a pro, on-hand knowledge and the right equipment are crucial to saving your time, money and effort. Even if you are making a simple home renovation, working with the right power tool kit can make the whole process easier.
There are many tool kits for home improvements, but if you want to get things right, you must own the tools that are indispensable for all DIYers.
Tools can be expensive, so it makes sense to try before you buy. Here are some of our favourite power tools and items that have been tried and tested before purchase. We’ve included the best nine picks, so check out each to find your next DIY essential!
Table of Contents
- 1. Drill Driver Set
- 2. Jigsaw with Blades
- 3. Sander
- 4. Multipurpose Toolkit
- 5. Socket & Wrench Set
- 6. Chainsaw
- 7. Oscillating Multitool
- 8. Tool Chest & Organisers
- 9. Gaffa Tape
- Final Thoughts
- Frequently Asked Questions
1. Drill Driver Set
The number one tool in my kit has to be a combi drill and impact driver set. I couldn’t live without these two by my side. They are used in almost all of my home DIY projects. Drilling, screwing, assembling, disassembling, sanding, cleaning, mixing and many more tasks a combi driver set can accomplish.
DEWALT DCK266M2T 18V Brushless Combi and Driver Twin Kit + 2 x 4.0Ah Batteries
- Brushless Motor Technology
- Ultra compact
- Lightweight design
- Two speed all metal transmission
- Hammer feature
- 3 position super bright LED light
Accompany these tools with a suitable box of drill bits and driver heads and your golden for so many jobs around the house.
Makita E-06270 212 Piece Drill and Screwbit Set
- Extensively equipped 212 Piece Drill and Screw Bit Set
- Suitable for drilling into wood, stone and metal
- Supplied in a handy plastic carrying case
- 13 Masonry Drill Bits
- 8 Wood Drill Bits
- 60 Screwbits C-Form
- 6 x ½” Hex Shank Flat Bits
- And much more
Of course, any drilling job is not possible without the proper drill bit to do the work. Pair your power drill machine with a trusty set of drill bits for different uses and functions, including drill bits for taps, which are essential for creating threaded holes.
2. Jigsaw with Blades
A jigsaw is a multi-purpose saw that can be very versatile for any keen DIYer. If you can’t afford a selection of different electric saws then this is the place to start. It can cut straight lines, curved lines and to a depth of around 45mm. A selection of blades will help you choose between fast cuts or accurate precise cuts.
Dewalt DCS331N 18V XR Li-ion Jigsaw with 1 x 4.0ah Battery
- Dust blower keeps the cut line visible.
- 4 stage orbital action.
- Brushless motor.
- Improved clamp design for more security more accuracy.
- Increased visibility with twin LED’s. D-Handle. Variable speed control
Here are some of my recommended jigsaw blades to accompany this Dewalt jigsaw.
- Denture designed for maximum cutting accuracy in all types of wood
- Xpc blades provide optimal control even in the hardest woods
- The brand in which professionals trust
- The brand that professionals trust
No DIYer can live without a sander in their life. There are a number of different power sander to choose from but I’d recommend starting with a random orbital sander. You might also consider a belt sander, orbital sander, detail sander and floor sander but this is one of the sanders I use most.
DEWALT DCW210N-XJ 18V XR BL Cordless Sander
- ize of the 125mm grinder with Velcro paper attachment
- In this version without batteries and charger
- Rotational speed adjustable
- Textile dust bag
- Built-in dust bag for direct connection to the vacuum cleaner
Don’t forget to buy a selection of sanding disks to accompany a sander like this.
SATC 125mm Sanding Discs 72Pcs
- This pack of 72 sanding discs includes 12PCS of 40 Grit and 10PCS of 60/80/120/180/240/320 Grit
- Velcro back sanding discs
- Suitable for grinding, deburring, blending, sanding, polishing, finishing to derusting
4. Multipurpose Toolkit
A 100-piece tool set with a selection of tools is essential in the DIY environment. You might not need them all but I can assure you there will be a use for most of them.
With this set, you’ll have all the bits and drivers you need to finish your next DIY project. The bits are available in a variety of sizes, ensuring that you get the right one for your task.
Staunch 200 Piece Home and Office Tool Set
- Complete with wrenches, household screwdriver set, insulation tape, ratchet bit holder, extension bar, metric sockets, spanner set, screwdriver bits, electric test pen, spirit level, screw bits, spark plug, tape measure, transfer sockets, screws assortment trade pack, hammer, pliers set, cutter, multi tool blade, plastic ties, hand saw, saw blades, screws and wall plugs set and many other tools.
5. Socket & Wrench Set
A set of wrenches and sockets can be a life saver when it comes to mechanics and plumbing. Invest in a complete set so that you never get caught out again.
Whether you’re working on your under-stair drawer or tightening up bolts for your kids’ bike, a socket set will set you right.
DEWALT Mechanic Tool Set, 247-Piece
- 1/4 in., 3/8 in. and 1/2 in. Drive, SAE, Ratchets, Sockets, Hex Keys, Combination Wrenches
- Polish Chrome Finish
- Durable case with metal latches
- Vinyl, anti-slip driver handle provides maximum comfort
While a chainsaw is excellent for cutting down trees and bushes, it might be a bit overkill for many home DIYers. You can consider something a bit smaller for all your gardening needs but a chainsaw can provide a number of suitable purposes.
8 Inch Mini Chainsaw
- PORTABLE MINI CHAINSAW
- BRUSHLESS CORDLESS CHAINSAW
- AUTO-OILLING&TOOL-FREE CHAIN TENSIONING
- TRIPLEX SAFETY PROTECTION
- CORDLESS CHAINSAW WITH BATTERY AND CHARGER
A cordless chainsaw can help you cut through sharp metals and hard tree branches without having to get your hands dirty. The versatility of its cordless power supply allows you to perform tasks that would be nearly impossible using simple hand tools. Check out these facts about one of the market’s most well-known chainsaws.
7. Oscillating Multitool
A multitool is exactly that. you can accomplish a plethora of tasks with one of these and they are neat and compact. With a multitool you can cut, slice, sand, scrape and remove tiles from walls. They are great for getting into tight areas and cutting precise lines where other tools cannot reach or perform accurately enough.
- Brushless motors provide up to 57% longer runtime and a longer service life of the machine compared to conventional engines with carbon brushes.
- Precisely dosed gas switch and dual handle position ensure ideal application control.
- 35-piece accessory set with a wide range of accessories for the most important grinding and saw applications, accessories from other manufacturers can be used with a standard multi-fit adapter.
8. Tool Chest & Organisers
Every DIY tool needs proper storage. Setting up and maintaining a tool organiser saves time and space. It keeps every tool organised, so you face no more lost tools lying around. Most essentially, it helps in keeping your tools in good working order for a long period.
Take a look at my comprehensive guide here:
9. Gaffa Tape
One alternative to glue is trusty gaffer tape. It’s a substantial strip of cloth-backed adhesive that sticks to almost anything. This strong adhesive-backed tape can be a lifesaver when time is limited and you need a quick repair. Whether you need to hold your car bumper in place or secure a loose wire in your home, gaffer tape is a versatile solution. Its durability and ability to conform to different surfaces make it a go-to choice for both DIY enthusiasts and professionals.
Black Duct Tape | 6 Rolls of 48mm x 45m Gaffer Tape
- Long-lasting use
- Superior quality and value
- Indoor and outdoor use
- Water resistant
- Heavy duty tape
- 45m per roll
Being a DIY enthusiast is exciting, but it can hamper your entire project workflow if you get the wrong tools at hand due to a lack of proper organization. So, it’s better to have all the essential tools you need in one place to work quicker, smarter, and more efficiently.
This article has tried highlighting the most in-demand power tools and items for DIY-loving homeowners. These items can help you get your project done with less hassle and time. Companies like Toolfit provide the opportunity for tool manufacturers to showcase their products and give customers the chance to try out tools before buying.
So, it’s time you get yourself a set of these tools and be prepared for any DIY workshop!
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What do you need in a basic toolbox?
A basic toolbox should include the following equipment,
- Extra knives
- Tape measure
- Adjustable wrenches
2. What projects can I do at home?
There are several DIY projects available for homeowners to do at home, which include,
- Making hand-painted wallpaper
- Creating a DIY rustic dining table
- Designing handy wooden showpieces
- Building a slide-out under-stair drawer
- Preparing a DIY veranda in your garden
- Painting the walls, etc.
3. What tools should every homeowner own?
As a homeowner, you must have these tools at hand,
- Spare Nails and Bolts,
- A utility knife,
- Cordless drill,
- Gardening tool,
- Electrical wiring, etc.
Thanks for reading
Why not try one of these great posts: