These terms and conditions of purchase and ownership will help you understand what to expect when buying a Wood Create piece of furniture.
- When confirming an order for any furniture we take 100% payment for the order total.
- Most of our items are made to order. Lead times for items will vary depending on the order and can be between 2 and 10 weeks. This can sometimes be longer during busy periods but this will be made clear before ordering your item(s). We always aim to create your item(s) as fast as possible and in some cases can exceed expectations.
Cracks and movement in wood
These terms primarily apply to all of our solid wood products.
- Seasoning – As wood is a natural material it’s quite common to have cracks, especially when wider pieces are used. The wider the wood, the more likely it is to have or develop a crack. These cracks normally occur during the drying process, both when the wood is curing and secondly during the kiln drying process. Upon request these cracks can be filled using a wood filler or epoxy resin and can also be left open. When left open we clean and tidy the crack to emphasise the nature of the wood. Cracks will be left as they are unless specifically requested to be filled.
- After delivery – Further cracks or movements may appear after the table has been made and has been delivered to you. Again, this is a natural process in which the wood acclimatises to its new environment. This normally happens within the first 12 months. This is primarily caused by the difference in moisture content within your home. It’s important to leave your wooden top desk or table to settle for a few days before attaching the legs. This will allow for suitable expansion or shrinkage before the metal legs are attached. If you wish to minimise the changes of the wood cracks you should allow fresh air to circulate through the room in which the table is placed. Items are made in our workshop which can normally have a higher humidity level than in your house, especially during the colder months. To minimise movements in the wood you should place a container of water that can slowly evaporate into the room. During the warmer months it might help to run a dehumidifier to control the moister content in the air.
- Heat and sunlight – Solid wood furniture is more susceptible to cracking or even twisting when in direct sunlight or near a source of heat such as under floor heating or a radiator. It is important to reduces these elements as much as possible by shading the table from sunlight and switching off heat sources for the first two months. Cracking or other damage caused due to excessive heat or sunlight will not be covered by our 12 month guarantee.
- Due to the nature of the reclaimed materials used in our products we can’t take responsibility for any piece of furniture that cracks or moves as it reacts to the heat and humidity in your own home.
- Do not store any items in damp or cold conditions as this will likely lead to excessive cracking and movement.
- The underside of our tables are not treated with oil like the top. This is to allow the wood to breath and acclimatise more easily to new environments.
Reclaimed wood characteristics
- Nails and other metal objects are removed where possible but some may still exist within the wood. This will not affect the comfort or function of the item.
- Knot holes, splits or cuts in the wood are normally left untreated unless they are considered to interfere with the overall function of the product, in which case they might be filled with wood filler or epoxy resin.
- Dents, scratches and saw marks exist as per the character of the previous life of the wood.
- Discolouration can exist in some or all pieces of wood used.
- Cupping or slightly uneven surfaces may exist in some or all of the pieces of wood.
- Splits or cracks can widen and close during specific times of the year.
Many of our customers like the natural cracking and character of reclaimed wood as it emphasises the authentic nature and previous life of the wood. If you are not keen on these features then please contact us before making a purchase.
Features and sizing
- Natural features – Wood is a natural material that will have knots, lighter or darker spots and other features which is to be expected in all our furniture. In most cases we will always use matching wood but there is no guarantee that the wood will be the same colour on planks or between planks.
- Sizing – All our sizing is approximate and can vary up to 20mm in length and width.
Caring for your table
Stains, marks and wear – Each table will be protected with a durable varnish but it is still important to use coasters and place mats to protect your table. The finish on the table can fade after some time (3+ years) or due to heavy use, so re-applying the varnish may be required as it begins to fade. Ronseal Interior Varnish is used to colour and protect the wood and in some cases a further coat of Osmo Oil is applied to further protect heavy use surfaces.
As long as we haven’t started work on your table you can change or cancel your order within 3 business working days. Please contact us via email to cancel your order at email@example.com
Unless your table is faulty we cannot accept returns after delivery as all items are custom made. However, if you have an issue with your table we are more than happy to discuss and help out where possible.
Examples of reclaimed wood characteristics