Garages often become dumping grounds for tools, sports equipment and other household items. Keeping your garage organised and tidy can be a real challenge especially if you are a keen DIY-er and have a lot of tools. That’s where a sound tool storage system comes in handy. With the right system, you can keep your tools within reach while freeing up your garage space.
In this article we’ll review some of the best tool storage systems on the market to help you decide how to organise all your tools and items best.
Table of Contents
- Wall-mounted tool storage systems
- Some top wall-mounted tool storage systems
- Freestanding Tool Storage Systems
- Some Top Freestanding Tool Storage Systems
- Choosing The Right Systems For You
Wall-mounted tool storage systems
Wall-mounted tool storage systems are an excellent way to make the most of the vertical space in your garage. They come in a variety of sizes and styles so you’re sure to find one that fits your needs.
Pegboards are a classic choice. They’re inexpensive, easy to install and highly customisable. You can buy pegboard hooks in a variety of shapes and sizes to hold everything from hammers to wrenches. Plus, you can rearrange your pegboard as your needs change, making it a versatile storage solution.
Slatwall systems are similar to pegboards but offer a bit more versatility. Instead of using hooks, slatwall systems use specialised baskets and shelves that can be moved around as needed. This makes them a great option for people who need a more permanent storage solution.
Wire Grid Mesh
Wire grids are another popular choice. They’re made up of a series of interlocking wire grids that can be attached to your garage walls. You can use hooks and baskets to hang your tools or you can use wire baskets to create shelving. Wire grids are a great choice if you have a lot of heavy tools that you need to store securely.
Some top wall-mounted tool storage systems
This is a heavy-duty slatwall system. It’s made from tough resin and can hold up to 50 lbs per square foot. You can buy different sized panels to fit your garage and you can use a variety of baskets and shelves to organise your tools.
This is a rail and hook system that’s designed to be easy to install. It comes with a variety of hooks and baskets to help organise your tools. The rails are available in two configurations: horizontal tracks and vertical tracks. They are strong and can hold up to 75 lbs, so you can store even your heaviest tools with ease.
This slatwall system is designed specifically for garages. It’s made from heavy-duty steel and comes with options for hanging, mounting or storage on the upper shelves. You can add more as needed and the slats are strong enough to hold up to 100 lbs per square foot.
Freestanding Tool Storage Systems
Freestanding tool storage systems are a great option if you are in a rented property and don’t want to mount anything to your walls.
Tool cabinets are good if you have a lot of tools and need a permanent storage solution. They come in a variety of sizes and styles and you can choose from metal or wooden cabinets. Tool cabinets are usually equipped with drawers and shelves so you can organise your tools in a way that makes sense for you.
Workbenches are the perfect choice if you need a place to work with your tools. Many workbenches come with built-in storage so you can keep your tools within reach while you work. They come in a variety of sizes and styles from basic wooden workbenches to heavy-duty metal workstations.
Rolling carts are a great option if you need a portable tool storage system as you can move them where you want. Some rolling carts have built-in drawers and shelves while others have open trays that you can fill with your tools.
Some Top Freestanding Tool Storage Systems
Here are a few very popular choices for your freestanding tool storage.
Seville Classics Ultra HD 12-Drawer Rolling Workbench
This is a heavy-duty metal workbench that comes with a variety of built-in storage options including drawers, shelves and a pegboard. The workbench has wheels so you can move it around your garage as needed.
GiantexUK Tool Cabinet
This is a metal tool cabinet with four top drawers, a cupboard and a top shelf. The drawers are equipped with ball-bearing slides so they open and close smoothly.
COSTWAY Rolling Tool Cart, 4-Tier Tool Chest
It features four tiers of storage, each with a lockable drawer, so you can keep your tools organized and secure. The top tier also has a sliding lid for easy access to your larger tools. The cabinet is equipped with four casters, so you can easily move it around your workspace.
Choosing The Right Systems For You
Before you start choosing a tool storage system, take some time to organize your tools and declutter your collection. Here are some tips:
- Go through your tools and identify the ones you use the most. This may seem obvious, but it’s important to be honest with yourself about how often you actually use each tool. If you haven’t used a tool in years, it’s probably time to get rid of it.
- Group your tools together by type. This will help you see which tools you have duplicates of and which ones you’re missing.
- Purge any tools that are damaged or broken. There’s no point in keeping tools that you can’t use.
- Consider selling or donating the tools you no longer need. This is a great way to declutter your garage and make some money or help others in need.
If you’re struggling to declutter your tool collection, you can always hire a professional decluttering service. They can help you sort through your tools and get rid of the ones you don’t need.
Once you’ve decluttered your tool collection, you can start choosing a tool storage system. Here are a few things to keep in mind:
- The size and type of your tool collection. The size and type of your tool collection will determine the size and type of tool storage system you need.
- The amount of space you have in your garage. You’ll need to choose a tool storage system that fits into the space you have available.
- Your budget. Tool storage systems can range in price from a few dollars to several hundred dollars. Choose a system that fits your budget.
With a little planning, you can declutter your tool collection and choose the right tool storage system to keep your tools organized and accessible. This will help you enjoy a clean and organized garage for years to come.
Here are some additional tips for choosing a tool storage system:
- Consider the type of tools you have. Some tools are better suited for certain types of storage systems. For example, long tools like ladders and shovels can be stored on wall hooks, while smaller tools like screwdrivers and wrenches can be stored in drawers or bins.
- Think about how often you use your tools. If you use your tools frequently, you’ll want a system that makes them easy to access. For example, a rolling tool cabinet or a pegboard system can make it easy to get to the tools you need quickly.
- Consider the climate in your area. If you live in a cold climate, you’ll need a tool storage system that will protect your tools from the elements. A cabinet or chest with a weatherproof seal is a good option.
A well-organised garage is a happy garage. With the right tool storage system, you can keep your tools organised and accessible, making it easy to find what you need when you need it. There are many different types of tool storage systems available, so take some time to consider your needs and choose the one that is right for you.